Gynecologist–Obstetrician | Heraklion Crete | Makrygiannakis Antonios
I was born in Rhodes. I graduated from high school in Heraklion and passed the national examination to be admitted to the University of Athens Medical School (1981).
I graduated from Medical School in 1988 and I served my military service as a medical officer in the Hellenic Air Force (1988-90). I then served the mandatory rural medical service (1990-91).
I started working towards my doctoral degree in 1989, at the Laboratory of Endocrine Pharmacology, Basic Sciences Division, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, Greece. I completed my PhD thesis in 1994, and left for the USA for further training.
I followed training as a General Surgeon (1992-93), which is a prerequisite for the specialty of Obstetrics & Gynecology. Thenafter (1993-97), I followed training towards the specialty of Obstetrics & Gynecology, at the Ob-Gyn Department of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete.
I was trained in Assisted Reproduction (including in vitro fertilization, IVF) and Gynecological Endocrinology in two of the largest centers worldwide:
1) Division of Human Reproduction, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA.
2) Imperial College School of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Department of Reproductive Surgery & Medicine, In Vitro Fertilization Unit, London, UK.
In 2001, I was elected Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, I obtained a tenured position in 2006, and I was elected Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical School, University of Crete in 2010. I founded the IVF, Assisted Reproduction and Gynaecological Endocrinology Unit, as well as the Recurrent Miscarriages clinic within the Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of the University of Crete.
PROCEDURES OF ASSISTED REPRODUCTION
- OVARIAN STIMULATION/OVULATION INDUCTION
- INTRA-UTERINE INSEMINATION (IUI)
- SPERM BANK
- IN VITRO FERTILIZATION (IVF)
- INTRACYTOPLASMIC SPERM INJECTION (ICSI)
- ASSISTED HATCHING
- EMBRYO CULTURE TO THE BLASTOCYST STAGE
- EMBRYO TRANSFER / FROZEN EMBRYO TRANSFER
- EMBRYO/BLASTOCYST CRYOPRESERVATION
- OOCYTE CRYOPRESERVATION
- EGG DONATION
- SURGICAL SPERM RETRIEVAL
- IUI/IVF IN RETROGRADE EJACULATION